Flametree Chardonnay 2016
A mixture of semi turbid and very turbid juices were wild fermented in French oak puncheons and barriques. Only 20% new oak in total, with the remainder second and third use French oak. We favour the wild ferment with low sugars and turbid juices, as we believe the resultant wines have greater complexity both on the palate and on the nose. The 2016 Chardonnay spent 10 months integrating in barrel. In keeping with the theme of making tighter, fresher Chardonnays we didn’t stir the lees or inoculate for MLF.
The 2016 Chardonnay has a nice balance of fine fruit flavours and tight structure, very much in line with the new wave of modern Australian Chardonnays. Dried pear, grapefruit, honeydew melon and fig flavours are well supported by subtle French oak. The palate is textured, yet savoury, a direct result of wild ferments with turbid juices. Drink as a young wine or cellar in the medium term.
AWARDS / REVIEWS
- 95 Points - #1 out of 30 Margaret River Chardonnays - Huon Hooke, The Real Review, Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, August 2017
- 92 Points - Ray Jordan's Wine Guide 2018
- 92 Points - James Suckling 2017
- 91 Points - James Halliday Wine Companion 2018
- Bronze - Royal Melbourne Wine Show 2017
- Bronze - Wine Show of WA 2017
- Bronze - Margaret River Wine Show 2017
100% Margaret River Chardonnay.
Drink as a young wine or cellar in the short to medium term.