SRS Wallcliffe Chardonnay 2016
In much the same mould as the 2014 SRS Chardonnay the 2016 shows lovely purity and freshness of fruit together with some savoury notes from the solids and wild ferment. Classic grapefruit and dried pear fruits give way to barrel ferment and sulphide complexities. These sulphides contribute a lovely savoury oyster shell or saline character, giving the wine greater complexity and overall purity, and ultimately complementing many modern Australian food flavours.
After overnight cold storage the Chardonnay fruit was whole bunch pressed into French oak puncheons before undergoing full wild yeast fermentation. To achieve a portion with high grape solids we rotated the press after filling. The key to successful wild fermentation is the use of high turbidity juices, minimal sulphur dioxide, low alcohols and juices with good nutrient content. The 2016 SRS Chardonnay was barrel fermented in 40% new French puncheons and then aged for 10 months. We stirred the lees a few times but not as much as previous vintages.
AWARDS / REVIEWS
Royal Sydney Wine Show 2017:
- Trophy - Best Chardonnay (THE A P John Coopers Perennial Trophy for Best Chardonnay)
- Trophy - Best Wine judged by the International Guest Judge
Royal Perth Wine Show 2017:
- Trophy - Best Chardonnay
- Trophy - Best WA White table wine
- Trophy - Best single vineyard red or white varietal
- Trophy - Best white table wine
- Trophy - Best WA Wine
- Trophy - Best Wine of the Show
Royal Adelaide Wine Show 2017:
- Top Gold Medal
Royal Melbourne Wine Show 2017
- Consistency of Excellence Medal - Gold Medal at 3 consecutive Royal Melbourne Wine Shows - 2014, 2015, 2016 SRS Chardonnay
- Gold Medal — 95 points
James Halliday’s Top 100 Wines of 2017
- 97 Points
Ray Jordan's Wine Guide 2018
- 97 Points
100% Margaret River Chardonnay.
Drinking well now or cellar 5-10 years.
A complex wine that unfolds a new layer with every taste.
Congratulations of one out of the box