SRS Wallcliffe Chardonnay 2017
Because the wines were a little lighter than previous years we did a little more lees stirring and inoculated 20% of the blend for MLF to give a little more texture and softness to the acid profile of the wine. The 2017 shows good freshness of fruit together with some savoury notes from the solids and wild ferment. Classic grapefruit, white peach and dried pear fruits give way to barrel ferment and sulphide complexities. These sulphides contribute a lovely savoury oyster shell or saline character, giving the wine greater complexity and overall purity. This style ultimately complements many modern Australian food flavours.
After overnight cold storage the Chardonnay fruit was whole bunch pressed into French oak puncheons before undergoing full wild yeast fermentation. To achieve a portion with high grape solids we rotated the press after filling. The key to successful wild fermentation is the use of high turbidity juices, minimal sulphur dioxide, low alcohols and juices with good nutrient content. The 2017 SRS Chardonnay was barrel fermented in 35% new French puncheons and then aged for 10 months. We stirred the lees and inoculated 20% of barrels for MLF.
AWARDS / REVIEWS
- Trophy for the Best Western Australia Chardonnay International Wine Challenge 2019
- Gold, 95 pts - International Wine Challenge 2019
- Consistency of Excellence award - Royal Melbourne Wine Awards 2018
- Gold - Royal Melbourne Wine Awards 2018
- Gold - Sydney Royal Wine Show 2018
- Gold - Perth Royal Wine Awards 2018
- Gold - Royal Adelaide Wine Show 2018
- Gold - Wine Show of Western Australia 2018
- 97 Points - Halliday Wine Companion 2020
- 97 Points - Ray Jordan, West Weekend
- Gold - International Wine Challenge 2018
100% Margaret River Chardonnay.
Drinking well now or cellar 5-10 years.